Wednesday, November 28, 2007

La vida Hong Kong



What a trip! The last time I was in Hong Kong was in the mid 1990s. I don't remember much of it, maybe because I travelled with my family. But for sure I had a great time. This trip however, I hung out with a couple of cousins and a friend. We had fantastic meals and pre/after dinner drinks at swanky places. Took a few good photographs of Victoria Peak, Stanley Market, central HK, and other places. I was able to get only one run in but it was at the Four Seasons' gym on a state-of-the-art treadmill overlooking the Kowloon harbour ~ life can't get any better.

I also broke down and bought the most coveted "toy" on my wish list, an iPod Touch. I blame it on a cousin who was taking too long in an electronics shop. How I'm justifying this expense is that I didn't have to pay for accommodations. Yeah, right...

As good as it was, I missed the main reason for this trip ~ the Federer/Sampras exhibition game! Arrrgh!!! I can't blame anyone but myself. On any given day, 3 hours would be more than enough travel time to get to Macau from HK. When I got to the terminal, I qued up for the very long line. 10-15 minutes later, the board showed that the next available ferry will be in 2.5 hours. Which didn't leave me enough time to meet a friend (who had my ticket) at the Venetian before the game. What makes it worse, is that I missed Sampras' win over Federer. Oh well, que sera sera.

DINING / COCKTAILS at:
- Yun Fu 43-55 Wyndham St, Central HK ~ roast duck, braised green bamboo shoots; amazing buddha lined staircase with swanky modern/asian interior
- Feather Boa 38 Staunton St, SoHo HK ~ yummy chocolate strawberry daiquiris; parissiene bordello like interior; for members only
- Cafe Deco Victoria Peak HK ~ really good pizza w parma ham, arugula & black truffle oil, awesome view of HK skyline
- Aqua Roma 29+30 Floors, One Peking Road, Tsimshatsui, Kowloon ~ to die for squab w foie gras & roasted fig; uber chic, amazing HK harbor and city view
- Insomnia 38-44 D'Aguilar St, Central HK ~ good Filipino band, super packed, expat crowd
- Azure LFK Tower 33 Wyndham St, Central HK ~ drinks atop LFK Hotel, stunning views
- Yan Toh Heen InterContinental Hotel 18 Salisbury Rd, Kowloon ~ omg, I don't think I've had better Peking Duck ever. The fat is skimmed off the skin right in front of you, for a "healthier" and guilt-free dining experience.
- XTC Gelato LFK area (and all over HK) ~ wow, it's good, good, good! too many exotic flavors to choose from.

0 comments: