Monday, December 17, 2007

My friend, the runner

No long runs logged over the weekend... very, VERY bad! I swear to get one in this weekend.

I did an easy 4mi walk/jog with a friend on Sunday though. This friend of mine just started running several weeks ago. She did quite well, we jogged 5min and walked 2min for an hour. I'm so proud of her, she even reached the "zone" during her last 5min jog! Although she is athletic, I never envisioned her as a runner... (she's an equestrian, was the captain of her high school tennis team, and has dabbled into all sorts of martial arts).


Early morning run, U.P.

From the looks of it, she will be more than just the occasional runner. She's outfitted herself with a whole lot of goodies: a 3rd gen iPod Nano, the Nike+ Sports Kit, a pair of Asics running shoes, and a running watch. Now I'm telling her that all she needs are some dri-fit shirts. But she refuses (for now anyway), as she's a 100% cotton shirt kinda girl.

Whoever said running was a cheap sport didn't know what he was talking about! There are all sorts of must have running paraphernalia. But seriously, once you've got the gear, that's it, you're done spending. Oh, except for the shoes, which you need to replace every 450-500 miles. As a skier and a diver, I can tell you that running is a bargain. It's not a destination sport, you can run anywhere. You can wear your running shoes even when you're not running ~ you can't do that with fins or ski boots.

Back to my running friend... she's got serious issues with Nike+, she believes it's a huge waste of money. It's given her problems from the start. Such as:

  • difficulty getting her sensor to work
  • the Nano acting sluggish and the click wheel unresponsive when using the sports kit
  • problems downloading data to the Nike+ website
  • Nike+ website isn't intuitive
It's too bad she's experiencing all these problems, because I'm a believer of Nike+. It's what got me running and it continues to motivate me to run more. I hope it all works out for her before she gives up on it...

UPDATE:: 12/26 My friend gave up on Nike+. She ended up buying the Garmin Forerunner 305 today. She's tested it and is happy with it!

0 comments: