Thursday, January 24, 2008

Post race thoughts

It's been four days since the Subic Marathon, and yet I'm still on a high for completing a half marathon! I started running approximately 8 months ago, so for me this is a big deal. I never thought that I'd be able to run one mile straight, let alone 13+ miles! I have worked so hard for this, and am so proud of myself! Okay, enough of the self patting.

That being said, I know that I am not ready to run the full Philippine Marathon next month. Primarily because I haven't been consistent with my weekly long runs. Last week's race was my longest run yet. I'll only be asking for trouble if I start piling on the miles at this late stage, with less than 5 weeks to go.

I am truly bummed, because the marathon has been my goal since last October. My schedule and plans centered around it. It was what kept me going. And now without this goal, I feel kind of in limbo.

You see, I was planning to move to San Francisco soon after the marathon. But now that I'm not running this race, there's not much left for me to do here in Manila. Sure, my family and friends are here, but I need to start working again.

So anyway, the next marathon on my list is the San Francisco Marathon next August. That gives me more than enough time to train for it. I'll be building up my base, adding quality runs and not foregoing the long runs.

I won't be able to do it alone. I'm thinking of joining a running club, that way, I'll stay on track and make new friends. Funny how running has become such a big part of my life... How decisions are being made because of it...

6 comments:

Runner said...

hi there,
if your shirt from running subic is still a freebie, I'd take it!
so, you're planning to run San Francisco. I thought of it too as my first marathon since I've decided to take my running to the next level(had done my nth half marathon). am still debating between LA and SF. anyway. linked to your blog from bullrunner's.
by the way, did you say this coming summer or next summer for running SF?
regards,
venice

bealtea said...

hi venice, the subic shirt is yours :-) are you based in Manila or the US? if in the states, i can mail it to you sometime in march, if in manila, i'm in the ortigas area.

planning on doing the sf marathon this coming summer. i need a goal or i'll go crazy. where do you do your runs?

Runner said...

neat! was actually just kidding about the subic shirt(thanks,anyway). got over the phase of running 10k's to collect shirts!
just moved back recently to calgary after living in Vancouver.
not much of a trail runner so i do my practice runs on roads ( too bad, it's been wintry here at the moment so I guess sooner or later my mileage will be declining). had actually eased into training last December for Vancouver International Marathon this coming Spring but i changed my mind about it. if you want, I could give you my private e-mail so that we can keep in touch and maybe run a major marathon together, eh?
take it easy.

bealtea said...

darn, i really wanted to get rid of that shirt :-D

wow, calgary! i'm sure you've got plenty of scenic roads to run there.

yes, let's keep in touch. if ever you're in california for a marathon, let me know so i can start training for it.

cheers!

Unknown said...

Hey bea, you said it, funny how your move to SF revolved around the marathon. SF marathon sounds like a great plan. I'm sure you'll be well prepared for that one. I actually considered that and hinted a bit about it to my hubby who went to college there. But, for now, I'm just focusing on running again...not even marathons. Hey, I hope you keep this blog updated even when you move.

bealtea said...

Hey Jaymie! ha ha, i guess once the running bug hits you, it just totally takes over your life. good luck with your knee! and if you do run the sf marathon let me know. you'll be welcome to stay at my place. :-)